- Administer Rituxan as two-1000 mg intravenous infusions separated by 2 weeks1
- Glucocorticoids administered as methylprednisolone 100 mg intravenous or its equivalent 30 minutes prior to each infusion are recommended to reduce the incidence and severity of infusion reactions1
- Premedicate before each infusion with acetaminophen and an antihistamine. For RA patients, methylprednisolone 100 mg IV or its equivalent is recommended 30 minutes prior to each infusion
- Subsequent courses should be administered every 24 weeks or based on clinical evaluation, but not sooner than every 16 weeks1
- Rituxan is given in combination with methotrexate1
Patients can be effectively retreated every 6 months before signs and symptoms reappear
Patient Case History: Effective dosing at 6-month intervals
Dr. Gary Crump hosts a presentation on the efficacy of dosing with Rituxan at 6-month intervals.
- Rituxan [package insert]. South San Francisco, CA: Biogen Idec Inc., and Genentech USA, Inc.; February 2012.
Rituxan (rituximab) in combination with methotrexate is indicated for the treatment of adult patients with moderately- to severely- active rheumatoid arthritis who have had an inadequate response to one or more TNF antagonist therapies.
Rituxan is not recommended for treatment of patients with severe active infections.
IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION
Rituxan administration can result in serious, including fatal, adverse reactions. These include:
- infusion reactions
- tumor lysis syndrome (TLS)
- severe mucocutaneous reactions
- progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy (PML)
WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS
Rituxan administration can also result in additional serious, including fatal, adverse reactions including:
- hepatitis B reactivation
- other infections including bacterial, fungal, new or reactivated viral infections
- cardiovascular events
Patients should be closely observed for signs of infection if biologic agents and /or DMARDs other than methotrexate are used concomitantly.
Common adverse reactions include infusion reactions and infections.
For additional safety information, please see the full prescribing information, including BOXED WARNINGS and Medication Guide.
Attention Healthcare Provider: Provide Medication Guide to patient prior to Rituxan infusion.